Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Jam Time

We are reaping the benefits of having TONS of blackberry bushes lining our property these past couple of weeks with bucket fulls of ripe delicious berries. I spent about 1/2 hour on Sunday picking just the ones in front and on one side of the house and came back with almost 10 pounds worth. With this many berries and more riping everyday I got a little creative on what to use them for and attempted to make jam for the first time ever.

After scouring the Internet for a good recipe for strawberry blackberry jam with no added sugar I found one that sounded good and decided to give it a try. After washing, mashing and chopping blackberries and strawberries it was time to attempt the jam process. I decided to use the hot water boil method since I didn't have a caner. After the jam cooked and jars were filled with the sweet purple liquid into the hot water bath for 10 minutes.  According to the recipe if the lids "popped" when they came out of the water bath after 10 minutes the jars were sealed properly.  
While I haven't tried it yet, the jars "popped" when they came out of the water bath and after cooling it looks like jam. Hopefully it will be yummy and I may even try to make some more for Christmas presents this year since I have enough berries to make a couple more batches of jam.

No comments: